Tobacco Caye Marine Station (TCMS) will work with your group in order to custom build your itinerary whilst at Tobacco Caye. A typical program could look like the following:
- Day 1: Collection via water taxi at Dangriga Stann Creek river mouth
- Island orientation, marine hazards presentation and intro to snorkelling session
- Day 2-4: South Water Caye Marine Reserve snorkel tours, Glovers reef visit (weather permitting), Bird Island visit and Mangrove snorkelling. Night snorkels are a great addition to show students a different perspective of the reef. In classroom lectures are available – please see selection below.
- Day 5: Reef cleaning and getting involved in TCMS projects such as the Coral Watch Project or Lion Fish culling.
- Final day: Breakfast and water taxi back to Dangriga
- Marine hazards – mandatory
- Intro to the marine environment of Belize
- Intro to the marine environment of Belize – coral reefs
- Intro to the marine environment of Belize – mangroves and sea grass
- Fisheries, conservation and MPAs
- Climate change and coral reefs
- Fish identification
- Impacts on the marine environment
Groups whilst snorkelling in the reserve can focus on a variety of different areas from observational findings to conducting research.
- TCMS Cost Calculator 2021 – Download our Cost Calculator, an Excel Spreadsheet that allows you to calculate costs based on number of nights, number of people and your desired itinerary.
- Check out a list of our services for 2021.
Station equipment available:
- Core samplers
- Sediment sieves
- Petri dishes
- Underwater slates
- Micron nets
- 3x underwater action cameras
- Water table
- Coral health charts and data slates