Strict Standards: Non-static method nggGallery::get_option() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/tcms/public_html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/lib/shortcodes.php on line 44
This is Tobacco Caye Marine Station (TCMS)
We are a privately owned, non-profit educational facility on Tobacco Caye in Belize, Central America.
TCMS is a marine studies based environmental education centre that offers experiential learning programs and training opportunities for educational groups from various organizations including universities, colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. Our goal is to educate while serving as a model of conservation.
TCMS provides support for independent researchers and postgraduate students, and conducts scientific research work, either independently or in collaboration with other researchers or laboratories. Visit our ‘Projects’, ‘Field Studies’ and ‘Research’ pages to learn more about the services we provide for educational groups, individual researchers, and our efforts in working with local communities to develop co-management strategies.
Through our dedicated staff, the Tobacco Caye Marine Station is committed to:
- Offering first class experiential field learning marine science study programs for visiting student groups, universities, and schools.
- Providing facilities and services for a place of study for international students of Watershed Ecology, Marine Ecology and Marine Environmental Science and a supportive environment for field work by undergraduates, postgraduates and independent researchers.
- Creating a platform for subsidized and affordable environmental education for Belizeans.
- Establishing an ongoing and interactive environmental outreach and awareness program for SWCMR, that will serve as a model suitable for transfer to other Marine Protected Areas (MPAs).
- Facilitating scientific research and environmental monitoring, mainly related to the conservation and sustainable use of natural resources.
- Developing a better understanding of the ecological connections between terrestrial watersheds and the marine environment.
- Producing an income generating mechanism through field study programs to finance long-term awareness and education programs for local communities.